Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for…
– Faith is Substantial (not wishful thinking or Faith in Faith)
– based on knowing the one we have faith in…Jesus only did what He saw the Father doing.
Jesus was walking on the water and Peter walking to Him in Matthew 14:22-33
– Lots of immediately-s
– Praying vs Paddling
– they were in a storm (not a sign of their disobedience)
– they were tired from going against the wind and the waves (but had persisted)
– there was FEAR – of storm and of the “ghost”
– They didn’t recognize Him even when they saw Him
– There was DOUBT
Their circumstances seemed greater than their savior.
Eyes on waves rather than Jesus. That’s when Peter started to sink.
When Jesus got in the boat the storm calmed.
This all led to a greater Revelation of who Jesus was.
– the first storm where Jesus calmed in Matthew 8 the disciples asked, “who is this man that even the wind and waves obey Him?” In this story they answer the question: The son of God (this was before Peter’s confession in Matt 16…difference is “the Christ”).
“If it is you…”
– Faith is Seeing. At one point Peter was looking at Jesus and at another point at his surroundings. What are you looking at?
– Faith is Stepping. It requires a response/action
– What will you do?